Welcome travellers!
During the next eight months we will embark on an epic adventure of religion, art, and history, as we voyage across the Silk Road. Join me as I follow the trail that has impacted countless cultures over the years, setting the stage for religion as we know it today.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Week 6: Mogao Ku Cave Site

Greetings travellers,

It has been quite some time since we've last connected. I have been hard at work with my studies continuing along the Silk Road, all the while enjoying some sight-seeing and the holidays! Upon my travels, I came across some fascinating articles which spoke about the Mogao Ku cave site in Dunhuang. As I reviewed the articles, I learned the significance of this ancient site and its contribution to the exploration and spread of Buddhist art along the Silk Road, and its influence continues to be seen to date. How can something so long ago continue to have a consistent ripple effect thousands of years later? And, what is it about this site that allowed art to flourish in the first place?

The Mogao Ku cave site is known to be the largest treasure of Buddhist art, placing any artifacts of the caves at high demand. Pieces of the site have been and continue to be shipped all around the world, worshipped and examined by its viewers. The amount of religious paintings, sculptures, and art work in general found at the site was astounding and truly set this Mogao Ku site apart as a critical influence in Buddhist artwork.

Tune in next week as I continue my adventure along the Silk Road.



Yours truly,
~A.V. 

No comments:

Post a Comment