Welcome travellers!
During the next eight months we will embark on an epic adventure of religion, art, and history, as we voyage across the Silk Road. Join me as I follow the trail that has impacted countless cultures over the years, setting the stage for religion as we know it today.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week 8: Formation of Islamic Identities

Greetings travellers,

I write to you about a slightly different topic at hand. My studies have shifted from Buddhism to the study of Islam, and I have encountered many different articles surrounding this religion's influence along the Silk Road and also in The West. A particular article stood out for me and it was written by Hirschkind and Mahmood, and the message I got from it was that we in The West tend to make assumptions and place labels and ideals on religious groups and religious movements that are half way around the world from us. Assuming certain things of Islam is ignorant on our part and only aids to the turmoil and aggression within the Islamic culture.

Due to biases and pre-determined opinions around Islamic groups such as the Taliban, the news has been able to manipulate situations against the Taliban and in favour of Western ideals. Also, we claim to be living in a country that accepts and welcomes all cultures, peoples, and religions, and yet we have instated laws that ban the use of female headscarves in an attempt at creating "equality". I am torn, because although I understand the frustration surrounding assumptions and biases, these assumptions are, in part, based off of real events that have spurred such a reaction. I guess the question is what do we do now?

Tune in next week as I continue my adventure along the Silk Road.




Yours truly,
~A.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment